Starting in 2011 4Qtr, the IRTF started experiencing many dome stall. Due to mechnical issue with the dome. Part of the plan to address these stalls was an upgrade to the dome servo system and motor. The upgrade would provide double the tourque to the drive system that moves the dome. The documents for the Upgrade Project Review is archived here: Feb 2012 Dome Drive Electronics Upgrade Review - A review on upgrading the dome motor was held. Original google doc link, and a local copy is provide. 1. Dome Drive Servo Upgrade Project: Link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1A2C1d64Fjjeav0cqka5KyX5qETyGD6394L9GOn7owuc/edit?hl=en_US PDF: DomeDriveServoUpgradeProject.pdf 2. Technical analysis of various aspects of the system: Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgDomi_LyO2MdFRudmlwRXVOdk5zUlFkNFV1S2FKclE&hl=en_US#gid=0 PDF: Dome Servo Upgrade - Motor Driver Technical.pdf 3. Specification. (Quite generic, but it lists a few important specs): Link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/16Zshf_i8ENfzZmuJ7Hb_bhyH2IoGZL_ducKa_qbuYrk/edit?hl=en_US PDF: DomeDriveServoSpecifications.pdf 4. email thread about the review: PDF: 2012-02-review-email.pdf The motor hardware was purchased. Arrived in March. Mar 2012 On Mar27, EW held another review on installation. As contracts are need to write up the IRTF, and other support hardware is need to be purchased. Here are the review documentations: A hardware diagram of the baldors hardware: https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1GnlWLLrhRRIa4TEPzDl1UK1K7samGnhfW4ai96ojPnI/edit PDF: DomeServoUpgradeSystemDiagram.pdf The slide presenatation: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/19RXaSpsCIIjxNlUhMK5xEqXGJ7YCJU_UkUPZgzfVJjU/edit PDF: DomeServoUpgradeReviewasof3_27_12.pdf Sept 2012 The project been progressing slowing, due to commitments to instrumentation work. Here a quick update as of Sept 5, 2012 1. Baldor hardware has been wire up in the IRTF lab for testing/development. (done Aug 2012) 2. IRTF Facility electrical work for the servo system has been completed. The consist of running the cable for the motors in the facility, and relocated and electrical panel int the TCS room for the dome controller/amplifiers. Done Aug 2012. 3. Some software work has started: * Communication between TCS and Baldor using MIN API access vai TCP/IP implemented on TCS. * Attempts a getting the motor configured/working has started (no results yet). 4. General implementation plan: * configure dome servo system in hilo. Test interact with hilo TCS system. * install a summit * Schedule day-time work to: switch motors, test/tune, switch back. * after full commissioning, remove old servo system. * Important to avoid scheduled telescope down time for dome servo work. At this time, we contacted baldor to seek assistance with configurtion and deploying their system. Here are some documents for this meeting. 1. 2012/09 documents: ./1209/DomeServoSystemDiagram.pdf wiring diagram. ./1209/servo-config-requirements.html general requirement. ./1209/irtf.mnt current mint program. 2. Picture for current Lab setup: 1209-pics 3. 06Sept Phone conversation with Krieg Richards at Laldor-LAX Made contract the Mr. Krieg Richards asking for assistance with our servo project. We are stuck getting the motor to pass it's autotuning configuration screen. At Krieg's suggestion, we remove the EPL setup to configure and test each controller as a stand alone unit. We did find some problems: 1. Need to configure the IO setup for the brakes. Brake were not releasing. 2. Because the equipment is setup in the lab, some of the wiring is just temporary. The revolver cabling was not shielded all the way to the controller. - fixed. 3. A wiring mistake was found on node 101 related to the AENB input. Eric clear up the error. Tony put the controller back on the EPL network. Oct/Nov 2012 Spend a couple of month trying various configuration (standalone, EPL, velociy, etc.) Did not seem to make much progress. 1. 2012/09 documents: Google doc link of the wiring diagram (unchanged for > 75 days): https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1GnlWLLrhRRIa4TEPzDl1UK1K7samGnhfW4ai96ojPnI/edit ./1210/ Oct notes concerning the system while talking with k.richards (baldor). contains: plan.html - Oct Plan. irtf.mnt - courrent mint program: EPL+COMMS_LOOP+COMMS_event. phone meeting notes. Had a few phone meeting with K.Richards and he indicate a proposal with JR, then another 3rd party integrator was in the work - but never received anything. Starting searching for another 3rd party intergrator. Also, spex instrument purchasing and Probems with the MORRIS camera took away some time in Nov. Dec 2012 Contacted Able-Baker Automation (Moraga, CA) for assistance with the baldor configuration/programming. Documents realated to his effort is here:./1212-able-baker Jan 2013 Able to get the Baldor E100 working together with EPL+FollowMode, and communications with the TCS. On Jan 22 we transported the system to the summit, and installed the hardware. I took 6 man-days to wire up, troubleshoot, and run the AutoTuning procedures. Some pictures here: ./1301-dome-install Feb 2013 Working on getting the system operational this month for the March rail grinding. Did a test run on Feb05/06 to test various control modes. Details here: ./1302-dome-tuning Apr 2013 Rail Resurface is tentatively schedule after apr 22 due to lots or day observing in march/apr. And shutter contractors are doing shutter AC power upgrade during non-daytime observing in March / early April. Many AMP failures with the old system in April. Running the system a max power ~35 AMP the normal night time mode. Apr 14 - Another AMP failure, lack of spares due to previous AMP failure and ET unable. Rather that closing the new system was put into use for Apr 14 night observing.